Friday, April 23, 2010


A funny thing happened on the way from the Best Buy.

I had an appointment yesterday at the Mayo Clinic. I was getting an ancilaryontolocialperiphenaliaencethligram on my big toe which had been spasming in a random manner. The Mayo doctors decided to take a Housian approach and attack the problem as a medical mystery which could only be unraveled by the best of the best. They assumed that they were the ones to solve the problem. I wasn't so sure, but, hey, most of the bill is covered by Blue Cross and since I perceive that Obama will cover any copays and deductibles since my earnings of only 68,000 dollars a year designate me as destitute and thus under the poverty level and eligible for a little assistance with those extra costs, I went along with their game.

Since my appointment wasn't until one thirty, my wife and I decided to stop off at the St Thomas Towne Center and while away a few hours at the Best Buy. I was looking for a camera, a disposable cell phone, a TV on DVD selection and a partridge in a pear tree.

Unfortunately, it only took us thirty one minutes to accumulate those artifacts, so we needed to waste away some more time.

We happened to notice a sports store a couple of blocks down from Best Buy. Sports Mania was the name, I believe. I was looking for a Florida Gators blue camouflaged baseball hat. I don't know about the rest of the country, but blue camouflage is big here in Florida. Green is out, Blue is in. After roaming aimlessly through the store for a few minutes, I found it!!! It was perfect. The body of the hat and the top of the bill were bedecked in blue camouflage and the underside of the bill was Gator orange. Fantastic.

My wife found a Saints championship shirt for ten bucks, so we decided to add that item to our shopping cart. As we approached the checkout, I discerned an animated conversation about football, my favorite subject. The gist of the conversation was that the Jags weren't going to draft Tebow, but they were going to attempt to get a guy named DeRolando MacdeClain, who was a free safely from Alabama.

I forced my way into the conversation by declaring that Tim Tebow is the greatest college quarterback of all time and that he should be drafted by the Jags in the first round.

Well, that statement caused an uproar and an overflowing of exuberant foment which centered around the notion that Tebow has bad mechanics, he doesn't have the experience to step into and run a pro offense, yada, yada, yada.

But, then came an unexpected turn to the conversation. The store manager said that Tim Tebow's agent came in that morning and bought a dozen NFL hats for teams which he thought were seriously considering drafting the Chosen One.

The manager said that the agent bought six Broncos, two Steelers, two Raiders and two Vikings hats. I didn't think much about his statement and didn't even perceive that I needed to expend any cognitive energy ascertaining if the manager was blowing hot air or was just experiencing a brain fart.

Well, come the twenty fifth pick of the draft which commenced that very night, the cameras panned to Tebow talking on the phone, those very same Bronco hats came out of nowhere and then it was announced that the Broncos had picked Tebow.

This morning, as I was eating breakfast, the first thing I heard was a listener asking a radio DJ how the Tebow team was wise enough to have all of those Bronco hats ready to display. I felt privileged to know how and why that happened.

Now, you know the rest of the story. This story is true. Well, not all of it. Just the hat part.

No comments: